Lewa Wilderness is situated within one of Kenya’s major private conservation successes, Lewa Downs which is found at the foot of Mt Kenya. Lewa Downs has been the Craig family home since 1924 when the Craigs came from England and began raising cattle here. Lewa Wilderness is the original family home of the Craigs and is still home to Will and Emma Craig.
Lewa Downs has three extraordinary assets:
- Beautiful countryside, and as good a wildlife viewing as anywhere in Africa
- The endangered species – Rhino, both Black and White, Grevy’s Zebra, and Sitatunga
- A major commitment to community development and participation.
Nine comfortable thatched cottages with ensuite bathrooms and electric lighting which is provided by a 240V generator that runs during the morning and evening hours.
- Game viewing: - day and night in our open 4 wheel drive vehicles, on horseback, on camels, on escorted bush walks
- Incredible bird watching
- Visits to prehistoric sites
- Cultural visits with local communities
- Farm and craft tours
- Swimming, tennis and jogging for the active
Hosts Will and Emma Craig and their team of professional guides.Meal PlanThe food is wholesome, ranch style and organically grown - full board, including soft drinks, beer, house wines and bottled water with meals.
- By daily schedule flight (via Nanyuki) to Lewa Downs.
- By private charter flight, directly to Lewa Downs airstrip.
- Road transfer Lewa Downs to Nanyuki (min 2/max 6 pax), extra Euro50 per person.
- By road, four hour drive from Nairobi.
Closed in April, May and November
Click on any of the links below for detailed information on each of the 42